- ½ tsp whole cloves
- ½ tsp roasted paprika
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- fish spice
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g plain flour, for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 35-40 whitebait
- Aïoli and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the beaten eggs and flour in separate shallow dishes.
- Fill a saucepan a third full with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C or until a small cube of bread turns golden brown within 1 minute. Dip the whitebait into the flour, then the egg mix, then into the spice mix. Carefully put the whitebait into the hot oil, and cook in batches for about 1-2 minutes, until browned. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with some aïoli and some lemon wedges.